Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Weekly Update

Managed to spend about two afternoons this past weekend working on some men-at-armsI snapped some quick photos but most of them were trash.  A few of them I was able to crop to show some of the work. The only thing I plan to do on these models is to touch up the faces and then I am going to give some Army Painter Shader a try.

From bretonnia

From bretonnia

From bretonnia

The touch-ups will hopefully be unnecessary in future men-at-arms. I made a critical error and waited until after I had done the faces, hoods, and collars before dry brushing the helmets and neckguards (on the two right models). The helmets weren't too much of a challenge but it was practically impossible to have dry brushed the two neckguards without getting paint all over the collar and face.

I think that is everything for the week.  I had been just putting these up as I write them but I think I'll start trying to schedule them for Tuesday mornings each week.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, drybrush first. That's one of the first lessons. That stuff gets so hard to control.

    They look good so far though. A good base coat can make the model already look table-worthy :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. It was a silly move on my part. I have no idea how I managed to not dry brush first. As best I can figure, I may have been originally planning to use color rather than metallic on them, but I definitely prefer the metallic. Gives a nice simple color to those components of the model.

    Also, I totally agree about even just a small base coat making a big difference. Even after just getting the first layer of the final green color and the beasty brown (I later painted over that with the snakebite that is in the pictures), I could really see what the final product was going to be coming together.

    But as I said, I don't think I am going to invest any time doing highlights on these guys. Probably just paint on some shader. It's after that that I'll have a choice to make. The shader is probably going to give them a slightly glossy look. So I need to decide if I am going to seal them with a matte varnish or leave them glossy in case I ever do want to take the time to add highlights.

    ReplyDelete